- 2018-08-22 On 22 August at 9.05 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is giving a welcome speech at the President Valdas Adamkus Conference 2018 "Restoring European and Transatlantic Resilience".
- 2018-08-22 On 22 August at 10.30 a.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is meeting with the participants of the project "Students - to the Government".
- 2018-08-22 On 22 August at 1.00 p.m., the Minister Linas Linkevičius is taking part in a government meeting and sitting.
- 2018-08-22 On 22 August, the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is taking part in the President Valdas Adamkus Conference 2018 "Restoring European and Transatlantic Resilience".
- 2018-08-22 On 22 August, the Vice-Minister Darius Skusevičius is taking part in the round table discussion "Transatlantic Response to Russia’s Hybrid Actions".
Lithuania’s Foreign Minister meets with the Japanese friend of Lithuania
On 6 September in Vilnius, the Minister of Foreign Affairs of Lithuania Linas Linkevičius met with the member of the Japanese Parliament House of Councillors and the Chairman of Japan-Lithuania Friendship Diet Members’ League Hirofumi Nakasone.
Nakasone is paying a visit to Lithuania at the invitation of the Group for Inter-Parliamentary Relations with Japan of the Seimas. The guest met with the Speaker of the Seimas Viktoras Pranckietis and the Prime Minister Saulius Skvernelis. He will also attend the events of Sugihara Week in Kaunas.
In the meeting, the officials exchanged views on the security situation on the Korean Peninsula, follow-up solutions to resolve conflict and highlighted the development of bilateral relations.
This year, Lithuania and Japan signed an agreement on the avoidance of double taxation and the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income and capital. The agreement has to be ratified by the Parliaments of the two countries.
Lithuania is interested in concluding an agreement on working holiday with Japan that would allow young people from Lithuania and Japan to get to know each other and the two countries better, while making use of employment opportunities.
The meeting also discussed the possibility of continued cooperation with Hitachi Group.
Lithuania’s Foreign Minister once again stressed the importance of preserving the heritage of Sugihara for both countries. In addition, Linkevičius thanked for the contribution of Japan’s National Diet (Parliament) to perpetuating the memory of this great Japanese diplomat.
During the visit of the Minister Linkevičius to Japan in May 2017, Nakasone was awarded the decoration of honour ‘Lithuanian Diplomacy Star’ for his personal contribution to the cooperation between Lithuania and Japan.
Nakasone is a seasoned Japanese politician and a long-time friend of Lithuania. He has served as the former Minister of Education and Science, the former Minister of Foreign Affairs and the Special Advisor to the Prime Minister of Japan.